ADVANCED HARMONY, SOLO ARRANGING and PERFORMANCE
Develop your arranging skills and solo guitar playing. Expand your harmonic understanding. Master five essential harmonic concepts to free your creativity. Harmonize any melody note with simple or lush chord voicings, or embellish a tune/progression with inventive chord substitutions. Incorporate inner voices and basslines into your chords and chord melodies.
I’ll teach and demonstrate arrangements in every class. Compose and polish an arrangement and perform your work in class. Add nuances until you perform your full arrangement in the final class. Solitary solo guitar becomes collaborative in this friendly and creative group setting!
This class offers more detailed how-to instruction than my “round table” class which is predominantly driven by performance.
- Internalize the perfect and diatonic cycles
- Expand your tonal palette with diatonic substitutions, secondary dominants, and tritone substitutions
- Discover the principles of basic jazz guitar arranging
- Create your own arrangements
- Enrich your harmonic vocabulary with extended chord voicings/13th chords
- Cultivate your voice leading
- Add walking bass lines under your chords
- Compose and improvise creative and coherent “after-the-melody” choruses
- Blend lines and chords to sound pianistic
- Explore counterpoint and contrary motion